Crock Pot Corned Beef
St. Patrick’s Day is soon. You MUST eat corned beef on St. Patrick’s Day, right?
Do you love corned beef? Do you try to eat it on St. Patrick’s Day? Is it hard to find at a restaurant close to you?
Yes! Yes! And Yes!
While I have not perfected it quite yet, this is the recipe that has worked the best for me. (I’m a crock pot girl, ya know!) So go to the store, get these ingredients, and be ready for the weekend!
CROCK POT CORNED BEEF
- 1 corned beef brisket (3-4lbs)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5 – 3 cups water
- 2 lbs potatoes , peeled & quartered
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage , cut into wedges
- Chop onion into large chunks. (I don’t care for onion but LARGE chunks give it flavor and allow me to remove it easily later.)
- Place onion in the bottom of a 6 qt crock pot. Top with corned beef and seasoning packet.
- Pour water into crock pot until it almost covers the corned beef.
- Add garlic and bay leaves.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- After the initial 3 hours, add potatoes and carrots.
- Two hours before serving, add cabbage wedges.
- Your corned beef should be very tender. If not, it probably needs to cook longer.
- Remove corned beef from the crock pot and let it rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- Be sure to cut it across the grain.
Is my first choice to go out and eat it, sure! But this is simple and easy and provides delicious leftovers!